Kandhamal riots: Four-yr RI for 6; BJP MLA acquitted
Bhubaneswar: A local court on Wednesday
sentenced eight persons to four-year rigorous imprisonment,
while acquitting six others, including a BJP MLA, in a case of
setting ablaze houses during last year`s communal violence in
Kandhamal district of Orissa.
Fast track court judge C R Das sentenced them on the
charge of involvement in torching houses belonging to members
of a minority community at Motumaha village under Raikia
police station area on August 27, 2008.
Fourteen persons, including MLA Manoj Pradhan, were
arrested in connection with the arson. The law maker and five
others were acquitted for want of evidence, government counsel
Pratap Patra said. Pradhan had been given bail earlier.
With today`s acquittal, the legislator have got
reprieve in four of the 14 cases. He is now facing 10 other
cases, including five murder charges, one attempt to
murder and four cases of arson.
Pradhan, one of the prime accused in last year`s riot
which claimed at least 40 lives and left hundreds of houses
gutted, is now attending the winter session of assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan