Kanimozhi files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls
Chennai: Kanimozhi, daughter of DMK president M Karunanidhi, on Saturday filed her nomination for the June 27 Rajya Sabha elections in the state.
Kanimozhi is one of the six Rajya Sabha members in the state who will retire in July.
The other five are Elavarasan and V Maitreyan from the AIADMK, Tiruchi N Siva from the DMK, B S Gnanadesikan of the Congress and D Raja of the Communist Party of India.
AIADMK`s five candidates – V Maitreyan, K R Arjunan, T Rathinavel, R Lakshmanan and Thangamuthu – filed their nomination papers on Wednesday.
A candidate needs 34 votes to get elected, and AIADMK is expecting to romp home with five seats with the help of friendly parties and take its tally in the Rajya Sabha to eight from the current five.
Kanimozhi`s election depends on the support the DMK gets from parties like the Congress, the DMDK and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload
- Amarinder Singh makes fresh offer to Navjot Singh Sidhu, says he has Congress in his DNA
- Rio 2016: After golden Olympic run, Justin Rose returns to regular job
- Manohar Parrikar asks Navy Chief to probe Scorpene-class submarines documents leak