Kanimozhi files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls
Chennai: Kanimozhi, daughter of DMK president M Karunanidhi, on Saturday filed her nomination for the June 27 Rajya Sabha elections in the state.
Kanimozhi is one of the six Rajya Sabha members in the state who will retire in July.
The other five are Elavarasan and V Maitreyan from the AIADMK, Tiruchi N Siva from the DMK, B S Gnanadesikan of the Congress and D Raja of the Communist Party of India.
AIADMK`s five candidates – V Maitreyan, K R Arjunan, T Rathinavel, R Lakshmanan and Thangamuthu – filed their nomination papers on Wednesday.
A candidate needs 34 votes to get elected, and AIADMK is expecting to romp home with five seats with the help of friendly parties and take its tally in the Rajya Sabha to eight from the current five.
Kanimozhi`s election depends on the support the DMK gets from parties like the Congress, the DMDK and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Yuvraj Singh trolls R Ashwin for photobombing his picture with Virat Kohli – See pic!