Kanimozhi files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls
Chennai: Kanimozhi, daughter of DMK president M Karunanidhi, on Saturday filed her nomination for the June 27 Rajya Sabha elections in the state.
Kanimozhi is one of the six Rajya Sabha members in the state who will retire in July.
The other five are Elavarasan and V Maitreyan from the AIADMK, Tiruchi N Siva from the DMK, B S Gnanadesikan of the Congress and D Raja of the Communist Party of India.
AIADMK`s five candidates – V Maitreyan, K R Arjunan, T Rathinavel, R Lakshmanan and Thangamuthu – filed their nomination papers on Wednesday.
A candidate needs 34 votes to get elected, and AIADMK is expecting to romp home with five seats with the help of friendly parties and take its tally in the Rajya Sabha to eight from the current five.
Kanimozhi`s election depends on the support the DMK gets from parties like the Congress, the DMDK and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Sachin Saga: Tendulkar set to appear in world of digital gaming
- I share a good rapport with team members: Anil Kumble
- Sonia to flag off bus yatra to UP on July 23
- MS Dhoni to mentor talent with Craig McDermott's cricket academy in Australia
- Gujarat Dalit flogging incident: Four police officials suspended, says Rajnath Singh