Kanimozhi files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls
Chennai: Kanimozhi, daughter of DMK president M Karunanidhi, on Saturday filed her nomination for the June 27 Rajya Sabha elections in the state.
Kanimozhi is one of the six Rajya Sabha members in the state who will retire in July.
The other five are Elavarasan and V Maitreyan from the AIADMK, Tiruchi N Siva from the DMK, B S Gnanadesikan of the Congress and D Raja of the Communist Party of India.
AIADMK`s five candidates – V Maitreyan, K R Arjunan, T Rathinavel, R Lakshmanan and Thangamuthu – filed their nomination papers on Wednesday.
A candidate needs 34 votes to get elected, and AIADMK is expecting to romp home with five seats with the help of friendly parties and take its tally in the Rajya Sabha to eight from the current five.
Kanimozhi`s election depends on the support the DMK gets from parties like the Congress, the DMDK and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh