Kanimozhi files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls
Chennai: Kanimozhi, daughter of DMK president M Karunanidhi, on Saturday filed her nomination for the June 27 Rajya Sabha elections in the state.
Kanimozhi is one of the six Rajya Sabha members in the state who will retire in July.
The other five are Elavarasan and V Maitreyan from the AIADMK, Tiruchi N Siva from the DMK, B S Gnanadesikan of the Congress and D Raja of the Communist Party of India.
AIADMK`s five candidates – V Maitreyan, K R Arjunan, T Rathinavel, R Lakshmanan and Thangamuthu – filed their nomination papers on Wednesday.
A candidate needs 34 votes to get elected, and AIADMK is expecting to romp home with five seats with the help of friendly parties and take its tally in the Rajya Sabha to eight from the current five.
Kanimozhi`s election depends on the support the DMK gets from parties like the Congress, the DMDK and others.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory