Kanimozhi learning candle making in jail
New Delhi: Whenever DMK MP Kanimozhi
comes out of Tihar Prisons, the literature loving leader will
have acquired one more skill -- candle making.
During her past over one month stay in the women`s
cell at the high security jail, Kanimozhi has, in her spare
time, taken interest in the candle making unit and learnt how
to make candles from her co-inmates, sources at Tihar Prisons
Candle making is one of the vocational courses
introduced by Tihar authorities to keep inmates connected to
the outside world through competition and skill enhancement.
A candle making unit exists in Jail number six which
houses women inmates. Made by the women prisoners, scented
candles are used inside the jail and also sold as jail factory
Kanimozhi, along with Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar,
was sent to Tihar jail on May 20 after a special CBI court
rejected her bail plea and ordered her "forthwith" arrest in
in connection with the 2G spectrum scam.
Prison sources said the DMK Rajya Sabha member also
spends her leisure reading books.
Concerned over her security, authorities have
converted an office room inside the women`s prison into a cell
and kept her there away from other prisoners.
Even after her bail plea was rejected twice by the
courts, Kanimozhi was never found to be upset and behaved well
with all the people she came across inside the jail, the
Her father DMK chief M Karunanidhi her mother, Rajathi
Ammal, along with others visited her yesterday. They had
brought many packets of Murukku, a popular snack for her.
Unlike her high profile neighbours, Kanimozhi has a
slew of people coming to meet her every day. DMK leaders are
lined up in front of Gate No 3 on Jail Road to visit her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'