Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar file bail plea in SC
New Delhi: DMK MP Kanimozhi and Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar, accused in the 2G spectrum case, Friday moved the Supreme Court seeking bail.
Kanimozhi, the 43-year-old daughter of DMK chief M Karunanidhi, and Kumar have challenged the Delhi High Court verdict rejecting their bail.
"We have filed a Special Leave Petition on behalf of both Kanimozhi and Kumar challenging the High Court order," senior advocate VG Pargasm said.
The High Court had on June 8 dismissed the bail pleas of Kanimozhi and Kumar, saying they have strong political connections and the possibility of them influencing witnesses cannot be ruled out.
Kanimozhi and Kumar, named as accused in the second charge sheet for allegedly taking bribe of Rs 200 crore, were arrested on May 20 after the special court dismissed their bail pleas in the case.
Both Kanimozhi and Kumar have 20 percent stake each in Kalaignar TV Pvt Ltd which allegedly received Rs 200 crore through a "circuitous" route from Shahid Balwa promoted DB Realty.
DMK chief`s wife Dayalu Ammal, who has been left out of the list of accused, owns the remaining 60 percent shares in the channel.
Kanimozhi and Kumar had moved the High Court on May 23 challenging the trial court`s order which had rejected their bail pleas, saying the offence attributed to them was grave and the possibility of influencing the witnesses cannot be
CBI Special Judge OP Saini had on May 20 rejected the bail pleas of Kanimozhi and Kumar and ordered their "forthwith" arrest. They are currently lodged in Tihar Jail.
Kanimozhi, who sought bail in the special court on the ground of being a woman, had approached the high court seeking relief citing the need to look after her school-going child who is devoid of her care as his father is working abroad.
Justice Bharihoke had on May 23 dismissed bail pleas of five corporate honchos, including Unitech Group MD Sanjay Chandra and Reliance ADAG MD Gautam Doshi in the case, saying there was a possibility that they may influence the witnesses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian Premier League: List of players bought by franchises at Saturday's auction
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode