Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar file bail plea in SC
New Delhi: DMK MP Kanimozhi and Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar, accused in the 2G spectrum case, Friday moved the Supreme Court seeking bail.
Kanimozhi, the 43-year-old daughter of DMK chief M Karunanidhi, and Kumar have challenged the Delhi High Court verdict rejecting their bail.
"We have filed a Special Leave Petition on behalf of both Kanimozhi and Kumar challenging the High Court order," senior advocate VG Pargasm said.
The High Court had on June 8 dismissed the bail pleas of Kanimozhi and Kumar, saying they have strong political connections and the possibility of them influencing witnesses cannot be ruled out.
Kanimozhi and Kumar, named as accused in the second charge sheet for allegedly taking bribe of Rs 200 crore, were arrested on May 20 after the special court dismissed their bail pleas in the case.
Both Kanimozhi and Kumar have 20 percent stake each in Kalaignar TV Pvt Ltd which allegedly received Rs 200 crore through a "circuitous" route from Shahid Balwa promoted DB Realty.
DMK chief`s wife Dayalu Ammal, who has been left out of the list of accused, owns the remaining 60 percent shares in the channel.
Kanimozhi and Kumar had moved the High Court on May 23 challenging the trial court`s order which had rejected their bail pleas, saying the offence attributed to them was grave and the possibility of influencing the witnesses cannot be
CBI Special Judge OP Saini had on May 20 rejected the bail pleas of Kanimozhi and Kumar and ordered their "forthwith" arrest. They are currently lodged in Tihar Jail.
Kanimozhi, who sought bail in the special court on the ground of being a woman, had approached the high court seeking relief citing the need to look after her school-going child who is devoid of her care as his father is working abroad.
Justice Bharihoke had on May 23 dismissed bail pleas of five corporate honchos, including Unitech Group MD Sanjay Chandra and Reliance ADAG MD Gautam Doshi in the case, saying there was a possibility that they may influence the witnesses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...