Kanpur-Delhi rail route restored after train accident
Lucknow: Rail services were restored between Delhi and Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh on Sunday, a day after 10 people were killed when two trains collided in Kanpur district, an official said.
"Initially, we managed to restore the uplink track and later the down track was also restored," additional divisional railway manager (Allahabad) DK Singh told reporters.
At around 9 am on Saturday, the Gorakhdham Express collided with the stationary Prayagraj Express near Panki railway station, some 90 km from Lucknow. According to officials, the collision had affected the schedule of 24 trains.
"For the time being, we have imposed some speed restriction for the trains passing through Panki railway station, near which the two trains collided," Singh said.
Kanpur Deputy Inspector General BP Jogdand and railway officials had said that eight women and two men died in the horrific accident. While 19 passengers were seriously injured, 24 suffered minor injuries, officials said.
The impact of the collision badly damaged three coaches of the Prayagraj Express, which was headed for Allahabad from New Delhi. The Gorakhdham Express was running between New Delhi and Gorakhpur.
Passengers of the Prayagraj Express had complained of a delay in rescue operations at the accident site. "It was after nearly 45 minutes that the railway rescue team arrived at the spot to carry out relief work," Ajai Anand, a passenger on the Prayagraj Express, told reporters in Kanpur.
Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Murli Manohar Joshi, who was travelling to Allahabad on the Prayagraj Express, on Saturday told reporters in Kanpur: "When the accident occurred, I experienced a massive jerk... Initially, I thought the jerk was because the train had started to move, but then my guard told me that an accident had occurred."
The railways have announced a compensation of Rs 500,000 for the families of those killed in the accident and Rs 100,000 each for the critically injured. The other injured passengers would receive Rs 10,000 as compensation.
Two other train accidents also occurred in Uttar Pradesh on Saturday. In Etawah, the Lichchavi Express rammed into the Magadh Express near Sarai Bhupat railway station, some 300 km from Lucknow. The driver of the Lichchavi Express was critically injured.
The third accident, a minor one, took place in Allahabad, about 200 km from here. Four people received minor injuries when the Saryu Express collided with a railway maintenance trolley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'