Kapil Sibal mocks Narendra Modi, says Delhi is `distant`
Pune: Taking potshots at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, Union Minister Kapil Sibal said on Sunday that internal bickering within the BJP would frustrate Modi`s bid for Prime Ministership.
About Modi`s aspiration to take central stage for the top job, Sibal said, addressing Congress workers, "Delhi is distant. Who will allow you to reach there? There are so many eying the post within that party, including the one who has been standing behind the chair for year," indirectly referring to senior BJP leader L K Advani.
Speaking at a Maharashtra Congress conclave at Balewadi, near here, Sibal alleged that Modi presents a misleading picture of Gujarat`s growth under his leadership, with wrong sets of figures, adding that in reality, the state`s population under the below poverty line (BPL) had increased in rural segments along with a rise in malnutrition.
"If Gujarat has made any progress, it is because of the people of Gujarat and not because of Modi", he said.
In a caustic attack on the BJP poster boy, Sibal said "Modi puts on a mask to hide his true face. If one goes near him, the real face is exposed".
He said only the Congress had a vision for 21st century India and the country could progress only on the path of secularism and not on the one represented by Narendra Modi.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan asked Congress workers to convey UPA government`s "achievements" to the people and prepare for the 2014 general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal