Kapil Sibal stresses on spreading distance education
New Delhi: Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal on Saturday said the government was aiming to get at least seven million students, largely from the underprivileged sections, enrolled in distance education programme to make education inclusive.
In a message at the convocation function of the Indira Gandhi National Open University, Sibal said that distant education can help in achieving the gross enrollment ratio of 30 percent by 2020.
"Distance education has became popular because it offers people from rural, working class communities access to higher education. We are thus targeting an enrolment of at least 7 million students, with a majority from the disadvantaged sections and locations, during the next few years," Sibal said in a recorded message as he was off to Mumbai for the World Cup final match.
"The Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) in higher education is presently hovering at a mere 13 percent, a whole 10 percent below the world average. I am setting sights to raise it to the global average by 2020, which by then will be around 30 percent," he said.
More than 2.15 lakh students across the country got degrees, diplomas and certificates and a total of 78 students received gold medals at the convocation ceremony held by the university, the world`s largest open university.
Nearly 45,000 students received Bachelor`s Degree, 21,000 Masters` Degree, 60,000 diplomas and approximately 91,000 students earned certificates in a ceremony held simultaneously at 51 IGNOU regional centres across the country.
Speaking on the occasion, IGNOU Vice Chancellor Prof. V.N. Rajasekharan Pillai stressed the initiatives taken by the university to promote the GER and said, "120 districts were identified with the GER between 3.0 and 7.0 where IGNOU can tap the prospective learners in the age group of 18-23 years. Both enrollment of fresh learners by IGNOU and retention of learners in the IGNOU system are being addressed to."
The VC added that the IGNOU is playing a key role in creating 500 million certified technicians and skilled workers by 2020.
Stressing the University`s growth story in the past four years, Pillai said the IGNOU is uniquely poised to enter the 2010-2020 Decade of Innovation.
"IGNOU`s approach in this Decade of Innovation is to achieve inclusive and sustainable growth in education, skill development, healthcare, energy, agriculture and infrastructure."
"The university plans to design learning and training modules, courses and programmes through which learners can pay skills providers directly and make the knowledge and skill acquired bankable through testing and certification, converting them into diplomas, higher diplomas, associate degrees and degrees," Pillai added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'