Kapil Sibal to press for prompt enquiry report against AMU VC
New Delhi: The HRD ministry will press for early submission of a report of enquiry ordered by President Pratibha Patil in connection with allegations of financial irregularities against Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) vice-chancellor PK Abdul Azis.
AMU court member Wasim Ahmed, who today met HRD Minister Kapil Sibal here and urged him to look into the matter on urgent basis, accused Azis of adopting evasive tactics to delay the completion of the probe.
"I told the minister that the committee appointed by President Patil in February last year was to give its report in two months but it could not do so till date due to evasive tactics adopted by Azis. He (Sibal) said he would ask for the report at the earliest," Ahmed said after his meeting.
The hearing against Azis by two retired judges is underway in New Delhi and the two-day proceedings will end tomorrow.
However, this is not the first high-powered panel appointed by the President to look into the matter.
She had ordered an enquiry on July 28, 2009 following complaints against Azis by eight members of the AMU executive council and court.
But, owing to certain differences between the committee members -- Justice (retd) Fakruddin and former civil aviation secretary AH Jung-- and advocates representing Azis, the matter did not make any headway.
The committee was supposed to table its report in three months but could not do so.
A new committee was appointed on February 4, 2010, comprising Justice (retd) AN Divecha and Justice (retd) BA Khan.
"This panel was supposed to give its report to the President within two months of starting their work but it could not do so due to lack of cooperation by Azis," the AMU court member claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi