Kapil Sibal trashes BJP charge of shielding Tarun Tejpal
New Delhi: Rejecting BJP`s charge that he was shielding Tarun Tejpal, Union Minister Kapil Sibal today said law must take its course in the sexual assault case against the Tehelka editor and if he is guilty, he should be punished.
"Whatever has happened, law must take its course. If a person is guilty, he must be punished. If he is not guilty, he must not be punished," Sibal told reporters here.
At the same time, he maintained that he is "not going to give judgement like other leaders have done. It is not my job. It sends a very wrong signal."
Amid speculation in media that he is related to Tejpal, the Union Minister said sarcastically, "I have a nephew called Tarun Sibal. So are all the Taruns in this country related to me?"
He rubbished BJP`s charge that he was shielding Tejpal and also vehemently denied the contention that he was a shareholder in Tejpal`s company.
Sibal said he never applied for the shares and the sum of Rs 5 lakh that he "donated" for Tehelka was his way of "protecting the freedom of expression".
He recalled that he had given a cheque of Rs five lakh to Tehelka when Tejpal had come to him seeking help when his venture was facing "persecution" by NDA government.
"He went to several personalities. He came to me also. I did not know him. That was a donation. That had nothing to do with seeking shares. He had asked me for support to start a newspaper...I was protecting the freedom of expression. That is how I am a founder member of Tehelka. But I have never applied for shares," the minister said.
When it was pointed out that documents showed he indeed had shares in Tejpal`s company, Sibal said, "Tejpal may have done (it)...I am not concerned with it. The fact is that there is no official allotment of shares to me. There is a law for it. I have to apply for that first and I have never applied for any share."
On being pressed further, he said hypothetically speaking even if he has shares in some company, how could he be held responsible for some wrong doing by any official of the company.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state