Karan Singh refuses China-India Friendship Award
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Karan
Singh is understood to have refused the China-India Friendship
Award conferred by visiting Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao on nine
personalities from various fields.
Sources said that Singh, a Rajya Sabha member, turned
down the award as he felt that a Parliamentarian should not
accept such decorations as he runs the risk of being seen as
favouring one particular country.
Among those awarded today were CPI(M) Polit Bureau member
Sitaram Yechury, Prof Tan Chung, G Viswanathan, G Banerjee, M
Mohanty, S Chakrabarty, Bhaskaran, Sherdill and Pallavi Aiyar.
The awards were given away by Wen at a function in the
The awardees have been honoured for their contribution to
promoting India-China friendship and understanding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gold price at 15-month high, rises further to Rs 30,330 per 10 grams
- Know who is vulnerable to online dating scams
- VIDEO: Maiden over & 5 wickets! Watch Mohammad Amir's sensational last over vs Australia!
- Jharkhand MNREGA workers return Rs 5 to Modi, say his govt needs it more than they do
- Watch - Spectacular 4K HD view of solar flare captured by NASA's SDO!