Karan Singh refuses China-India Friendship Award
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Karan
Singh is understood to have refused the China-India Friendship
Award conferred by visiting Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao on nine
personalities from various fields.
Sources said that Singh, a Rajya Sabha member, turned
down the award as he felt that a Parliamentarian should not
accept such decorations as he runs the risk of being seen as
favouring one particular country.
Among those awarded today were CPI(M) Polit Bureau member
Sitaram Yechury, Prof Tan Chung, G Viswanathan, G Banerjee, M
Mohanty, S Chakrabarty, Bhaskaran, Sherdill and Pallavi Aiyar.
The awards were given away by Wen at a function in the
The awardees have been honoured for their contribution to
promoting India-China friendship and understanding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!