Karat attacks UPA on inflation, petrol price hike
Kolkata: The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) on Sunday slammed the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government for failing to control rising food inflation and repeatedly hiking petroleum prices and said it will launch a countrywide agitation.
"As far as price rise is concerned, price of petrol has again increased by Rs 2.52. On the one hand, the government fuels inflation. But still it talks about trying to curb price rise," CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat told media persons after a two-day politburo meeting here.
"The government has failed to control food inflation. We have been asking them to curb the forward trading of food items," he added.
"We will discuss the matter with other Left parties and other secular parties and will plan a countrywide agitation against price rise and government`s failure to control price rise of essentials," said Karat.
With international crude prices going toward the USD 100 per barrel mark, the three state oil-marketing companies, Indian Oil, Bharat Petroleum and Hindustan Petroleum, hiked their petrol price Rs 2.50-Rs 2.54 per litre from midnight on January 15.
Karat also took a dig at the Trinamool Congress (the second biggest party in the UPA) for staying quiet on the fuel price hike.
"They are part of this government and they have to answer how they are party to such policies which is causing such an unbearable burden on the common man," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- AAP MLA Jagdeep Singh arrested on assault charges, later released on bail
- Red Bull apologise to Daniel Ricciardo for pit-stop bungle at Monaco
- Have you ever encountered death? These people did and were lucky to survive it – Watch
- Badaun re-run? Teenage girl murdered after gang-rape, body hanged from tree in UP
- Teen sensation Marcus Rashford signs bumper long-term contract at Manchester United: Reports