Karat, Bardhan court arrest against price rise
New Delhi: Around 1,000 Left activists and leaders including Communist Party of India-Marxist`s (CPI-M) Prakash Karat courted arrest here Thursday as part of a nationwide campaign against rising prices, Left sources said.
Communist Party of India (CPI) general secretary AB Bardhan, Forward Bloc chief Debabrata Biswas and Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) leader Abani Roy also offered themselves for arrest along with the activists on Parliament Street in the heart of the capital.
The Left parties have announced a one-day `jail bharo` (fill the prisons) campaign to put pressure on the government to check rising prices of food and other essential commodities.
Shouting slogans against the government, the protesters tried to cross a police barricade to move towards parliament. But they were stopped about a kilometre away, near the Jantar Mantar observatory, and arrested.
Addressing the rallyists before they were arrested, Karat asked the government to strengthen the public distribution system, implement land reforms and provide more employment opportunities.
"A meeting of the leaders of Left parties and secular parties will be held April 12 to decide further course of action," Karat said.
According to Left sources, around 25 lakh people are participating in mass picketing and court arrest programmes across the country Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!