Karat calls for Left unity to counter Cong, BJP
New Delhi: The CPI-M on Saturday said the
electoral reverses in West Bengal and Kerala have made it
imperative to expand its influence in other parts of the
country, focus on building Left unity and project a Left and
democratic alternative to counter the Congress and the BJP.
"In the current situation when the Left has suffered
serious electoral reverses, and when West Bengal, the
strongest base of the party is under attack, it is of utmost
importance to expand the influence and the base of the party
in other states," CPI-M General Secretary Prakash Karat told
a press conference here.
Releasing the draft political resolution for debate
within the party two months ahead of the 20th Congress in
April, he said the "central focus" now would be on
strengthening the party and stepping up its independent role
Karat said the fact that CPI-M was contesting the
assembly polls in Uttar Pradesh and Punjab independently
pointed towards this political understanding the party has
On the question of unity within the Left parties, Karat
acknowledged differences between the CPI-M and the CPI on
issues like Telangana or the problems of the erstwhile Left
Front government in West Bengal.
While the CPI supports the formation of Telangana, the
CPI-M does not. The CPI has been critical of the CPI-M in the
running of the Left Front and its defeat at the hustings.
However, Karat made it clear that these have to be
addressed in "a critical and fraternal manner so that it does
not weaken the Left Front. The ferocious attack on the Left
should be met with a collective resolve and by going to the
people in a united way".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars