Karat extends support to Jaitapur protests
Jaitapur, Maharashtra: CPM General Secretary
Prakash Karat and CPI leader D Raja Tuesday assured all support
to the local people in Jaitapur, who are protesting against
the proposed 9,900-MW nuclear power plant.
The two Left leaders visited the house of Tabrez Sayekar,
resident of the Sakhrinate village, who was killed in police
firing during the anti-Jaitapur protests in April this year.
They offered condolences to the victim`s parents and wife.
Later, they went around the village and met fishermen.
`Macchimaar Kruti Samiti` leader Amjad Borkar, from the
village said that the locals expressed their concern over
the harmful effects of the warm water released from the
nuclear plant on marine life and how they fear that security
concerns at the site will take a toll on their livelihood.
"There are two creeks --Vijaydurg and Jaitapur-- along
the plateau, where the plant is coming up and livelihood of
fisher folk from Sakhrinate and four other villages depend on
fishing in this area," Borkar said.
The villagers who had got injuries during the firing in
April, recollected their experiences during the agitation and
their struggle against the plant in the past few years.
Karat expressed solidarity with the villagers and said
that the agitation of Jaitapur locals will be fought at the
national level. "You are not alone in your fight," he assured.
Raja demanded judicial probe into the firing incident and
criticised the state government for not providing financial
assistance to the family of Tabrez.
"It is a shame that nobody from the government visited
the grief-striken family," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened