Karat ridicules Farooq Abdullah for Re 1 meal comment
New Delhi: Union Minister Farooq Abdullah`s comment that a meal could be had in just one rupee on Friday prompted CPI(M) leader Prakash Karat to suggest that such a scheme be implemented in Jammu and Kashmir.
"If this is correct, then why not implement it in J and K where there is autonomy," Karat said at a press conference when asked to comment on the remarks of Abdullah as also Congress leaders Raj Babbar and Rashid Masood.
Abdullah`s party National Conference runs a coalition government in the state with Congress.
Asked whether one could have a hearty meal in five or 12 rupees as suggested by Masood and Babbar, Karat said "this is just impossible in this age of price rise."
He said one can have "cheap and good food" at the canteens run by AIADMK government in Tamil Nadu with government subsidy. AIADMK is a friendly party of the Left.
Karat was also critical of the poverty estimates brought out by the government and wondered "how can the poor live on just Rs 27."
"The Congress is trying to project that it is all milk and honey in the country," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video