Karat to ensure BJP`s defeat, ducks query on backing Congress
Kolkata: CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat on Saturday said that Left parties would ensure BJP`s defeat in the next Lok Sabha polls, while evading a direct reply on the issue of supporting Congress after the polls.
"We will try to bring together all Left and democratic forces. Rest we will see after the polls," Karat said when inquired whether the CPI(M) will support the Congress after the next Lok Sabha polls to keep the BJP at bay.
"We will ensure that BJP is defeated," the top CPI(M) leader said.
Karat`s comment is a deviation from the previous stand of the CPI(M), where it had clearly stated that the Left would fight to keep both BJP and Congress at bay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened