Kargil martyr case: BJP seeks justice for family
New Delhi: BJP leader Shanta Kumar Tuesday pleaded in the Rajya Sabha the case of Capt. Saurabh Kalia, who with five other soldiers suffered gruesome torture by Pakistan during the 1999 Kargil conflict. Their mutilated bodies were later handed over to the Indian Army.
The BJP national vice-president in a special mention in the Rajya Sabha sought justice for the parents of Capt. Saurbah Kalia, who live in Himachal Pradesh`s Palampur town.
Shabta Kumar said Capt. Saurbah`s father N.K. Kalia, who retired as a senior scientist from the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), had moved the Supreme Court seeking direction to the central government to take up the case of his son`s torture in the International Court of Justice in The Hague.
Shanta Kumar, who is also from Palampur, said Capt. Saurabh of the 4 Jat Regiment was on a patrol in Kaksar sector of Jammu and Kashmir in May 1999 when he and five other soldiers were taken hostage by Pakistani troops.
Their mutilated bodies was handed over to India after 15 days of torture.
"For over 13 years, the family of Capt. Saurabh Kalia has been raising the issue at various national and international fora so that Pakistan could be punished for heinous crimes with war prisoners. Sadly, the family has failed to get justice so far. It`s a case of violation of the Geneva Convention," Shanta Kumar added.
"The family got assurances from the government of India and the chief of army staff, but there is little hope of getting justice," he added.
The BJP leader said the family should be provided justice without further delay.
The elderly parents of Capt. Saurabh have moved the Supreme Court, which has listed the matter for hearing Dec 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more
- Anil Kumble pips Ravi Shastri to become new coach of Team India