Kargil war: ‘Top commanders ignored warning’
Chandigarh: In a stunning revelation, a former Major of the Indian Army has claimed that he had spotted Pakistani infiltrators in Siachen as far back as in January, 1999- a full five months before the official Kargil report that says infiltration was noticed in May-June of that year.
Major Manish Bhatnagar of the 5 Parachute Battalion was court martialled in 2001 for “not obeying orders” a charge which replaced “showing cowardice”. Bhatnagar claims that he was targeted by his seniors for speaking the truth about Pakistani invasion.
“In January-Feb 1999, I saw a series of movements and bunkers on Peak 5770 on Siachen glacier and reported it to my seniors. It was suppressed,” Bhatnagar told Zee News.
The official Army history of Kargil war states that the intrusion by Pakistan was noticed only in May-June of 1999.
As per his appeal before the Armed Forces Tribunal for reinstatement of his honour, Bhatnagar had said in the Situation Report given to his Commanding Officer AK Srivastava that he had observed an enemy bunker. Srivastava, however, asked him not to send any more written reports.
His company also came under enemy fire and some Indian troopers were injured in February. According to Bhatnagar, even this information did not move his seniors to action.
"The reports of enemy activity were withheld from army HQ, the government, and even the neighbouring brigade, for which it was highly actionable information... when the petitioner continued to report enemy activity, he was sent on leave," his petition states.
When this peak was finally captured it revealed a cache of arms and ammunition which indicated presence for a longer time.
Bhatnagar was court martialled after he refused to send his men to resume control of Point 5203 in June- when a complete war had broken out. Bhatnagar says he refused as his company was tired and did not have enough ammo.
Bhatnagar told Zee News that had his information been taken seriously, India would not have lost over 500 soldiers in the war.
The revelation comes days after the Armed Forces Tribunal declared the official Kargil history as fudged and ordered its re-writing.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed