Kargil war will never happen again: Army commander
Drass (Kashmir): Expressing confidence that
another Kargil war will "never" happen again, top Army
Commander for Ladakh division on Tuesday said the force has
strengthened its capacity for technical surveillance and is
well equipped with weapons and modern intelligence.
"I am confident that this (Kargil war) will never happen
again," General Officer Commanding (GOC) of 14 Corps Lt Gen
Ravi Dastane said, while talking to reporters here at the 12th
anniversary of the Army`s victory in the 1999 Kargil war.
Lt Gen Dastane, who presided over the day`s functions
after General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Northern Command
Lt Gen K T Parnaik could not reach Drass due to bad weather,
said Army has strengthened its defenses and its technical
surveillance has also increased.
"We are proud to say that India is a technological power
and therefore we are getting those spin-offs to us for better
surveillance, better intelligence gathering," he said.
Dastane said Army has procured new surveillance technology
and firepower systems to meet its operational requirements.
"We are getting better surveillance systems, better
firepower systems... It is enough to meet our operational
requirements, it is adequate and we are confident with what we
are getting," he said, adding that bunkers at the mountain
tops are now manned round the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof