Kargil war will never happen again: Army commander
Drass (Kashmir): Expressing confidence that
another Kargil war will "never" happen again, top Army
Commander for Ladakh division on Tuesday said the force has
strengthened its capacity for technical surveillance and is
well equipped with weapons and modern intelligence.
"I am confident that this (Kargil war) will never happen
again," General Officer Commanding (GOC) of 14 Corps Lt Gen
Ravi Dastane said, while talking to reporters here at the 12th
anniversary of the Army`s victory in the 1999 Kargil war.
Lt Gen Dastane, who presided over the day`s functions
after General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Northern Command
Lt Gen K T Parnaik could not reach Drass due to bad weather,
said Army has strengthened its defenses and its technical
surveillance has also increased.
"We are proud to say that India is a technological power
and therefore we are getting those spin-offs to us for better
surveillance, better intelligence gathering," he said.
Dastane said Army has procured new surveillance technology
and firepower systems to meet its operational requirements.
"We are getting better surveillance systems, better
firepower systems... It is enough to meet our operational
requirements, it is adequate and we are confident with what we
are getting," he said, adding that bunkers at the mountain
tops are now manned round the year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India