Karmapa backed trust may have Rs 20cr assets
New Delhi: A trust backed by Karmapa Ugyen
Trinley Dorje could have amassed benami property and illegally
stashed foreign currency worth Rs 20 crore, investigators
Dismissing suggestions that the Tibetan spiritual
leader was unaware about Indian laws, government officials
said the Karmapa had deposited Rs three crore received in last
three years as donations to the bank account of the Trust and
kept with him more than double the amount of cash.
"The law of the land applies to everyone. If anyone is
involved in any illegal act, we are bound to take action
against him or her," an official said.
Bank accounts of the Trust and its trustees have
already been frozen in connection with the probe.
Police have also had arrested seven persons, including
one Karma Thapa and his wife Rinzin, in the case so far.
Foreign currency worth Rs 7.5 crore was recovered
during raids on the premises of the Karmapa backed Trust at
Gyuto Monastery at Sidhbari near Dharamsala after police
seized Rs one crore from a vehicle on Una border on January 25
along with documents pertaining to land deals.
While the police and Enforcement Directorate sleuths
have quizzed Karmapa and his aides in connection with source
of foreign currency, including Chinese currency, the
investigating agencies claim to have got vital leads about
purchase of benami land plots.
Himachal Pradesh has a stringent law that bans
purchase of land by any non-agriculturists including bonafide
Himachalis without the permission of the government.
The permission for purchase of land in relaxation of
Section 118 of HP Tenancy and Land Reforms Act is given by the
government for projects, institution and bonafide Himachalis
but the Tibetans, who have a "refugee" status, cannot purchase
Police sources said that some of the deals where land
had allegedly been purchased in the name of local people but
buyers were not able to disclose the source of money are under
scanner and these are suspected to have been purchased by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand