Karmapa clean chit welcomed
Gangtok: The Karmapa Reception Committee
and Joint Action Committee, a representation of 18 Buddhist
organisations of Sikkim, on Saturday jointly welcomed the clean chit
given to the XVIIth Karmapa Ogyen Trinley by the Centre.
During a press conference here, general secretary of
the Karmapa Reception Committee K T Bhutia expressed their
gratitude to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA Chairperson
Sonia Gandhi, Home Minister P Chidambaram and Home Secretary G
K Pillai "for laying to rest all allegations levelled against
Appealing to the central government to allow the Karmapa
to visit Sikkim and take his "rightful place" at Rumtek, JAC
president Kunzang Sherpa commended the home secretary?s
"understanding" of the "very innocent" nature of the financial
oversight of the Karmapa`s managers "born out of ignorance".
The speakers said a delegation of the organisations will
also soon call on Chief Minister Pawan Chamling to pursue with
the central government about the Karmapa`s visit to Sikkim.
The Centre on February 16 is understood to have given a
clean chit to the Karmapa in the case relating to the huge
foreign currency haul from his house, saying the money had
come in the form of donations and offerings by devotees.
This was the conclusion arrived by the central
government after its agencies probed the case following the
recovery of foreign currency to the tune of Rs 7.5 crore from
the Gyuto Monastery, the transit home of the Karmapa, in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!