Karmapa controversy due to aides` carelessness: Dalai
Panaji: The Karmapa, in the eye of a
controversy over huge haul of foreign currency from his
transit home, on Monday got the backing of the Dalai Lama, who
said the issue cropped up due to the carelessness of some of
"It was (because of) carelessness of some of his
attendants. Actually, the purpose of money was charity," the
spiritual and temporal head of Tibetan Buddhists told a
gathering here dismissing the controversy as "not serious".
Addressing a lecture in the memory of Buddhist scholar
D D Kosambi, the Dalai Lama likened the relations between
India and Tibet to that of a teacher and disciple.
"India is like the Guru and Tibet its disciple," he
"Our relation with India is not just few decades (old)
but it has existed for few thousand years," he said,
describing the Indian and Tibetan civilisations as two
branches of the sacred Bodhi tree.
"Six million Tibetans are physically controlled by
China but 99 per cent of their minds look at India," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees