Karmapa controversy due to aides` carelessness: Dalai
Panaji: The Karmapa, in the eye of a
controversy over huge haul of foreign currency from his
transit home, on Monday got the backing of the Dalai Lama, who
said the issue cropped up due to the carelessness of some of
"It was (because of) carelessness of some of his
attendants. Actually, the purpose of money was charity," the
spiritual and temporal head of Tibetan Buddhists told a
gathering here dismissing the controversy as "not serious".
Addressing a lecture in the memory of Buddhist scholar
D D Kosambi, the Dalai Lama likened the relations between
India and Tibet to that of a teacher and disciple.
"India is like the Guru and Tibet its disciple," he
"Our relation with India is not just few decades (old)
but it has existed for few thousand years," he said,
describing the Indian and Tibetan civilisations as two
branches of the sacred Bodhi tree.
"Six million Tibetans are physically controlled by
China but 99 per cent of their minds look at India," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida