Karmapa controversy due to aides` carelessness: Dalai
Panaji: The Karmapa, in the eye of a
controversy over huge haul of foreign currency from his
transit home, on Monday got the backing of the Dalai Lama, who
said the issue cropped up due to the carelessness of some of
"It was (because of) carelessness of some of his
attendants. Actually, the purpose of money was charity," the
spiritual and temporal head of Tibetan Buddhists told a
gathering here dismissing the controversy as "not serious".
Addressing a lecture in the memory of Buddhist scholar
D D Kosambi, the Dalai Lama likened the relations between
India and Tibet to that of a teacher and disciple.
"India is like the Guru and Tibet its disciple," he
"Our relation with India is not just few decades (old)
but it has existed for few thousand years," he said,
describing the Indian and Tibetan civilisations as two
branches of the sacred Bodhi tree.
"Six million Tibetans are physically controlled by
China but 99 per cent of their minds look at India," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore