Karnataka CM in Delhi Wednesday over Cauvery row
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar said here Tuesday that he would meet central ministers and MPs from the state in New Delhi Wednesday to discuss steps to protect the state`s interests in Cauvery row.
The meeting is to consider the strategy to impress the central government against setting up a Cauvery Management Board (CMB) as the proposal for its establishment has been challenged in the Supreme Court by Karnataka, he told reporters here.
The establishment of the CMB has been recommended by the Cauvery Waters Dispute Tribunal award. Karnataka has challenged the award also on the ground that the state has been given less share of water than its needs.
The CMB is to ensure Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry get their share of water as awarded by the tribunal.
The central government has to set it up within the next three months.
Shettar has already written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urging the central government against setting up CMB.
In his Feb 18 letter to the Prime Minister, Shettar said "The proposed Board will protect the interests of the lower riparian state - Tamil Nadu - virtually taking control over the Karnataka reservoirs which have been built by the state`s own resources.
"This would be a draconian measure which is against the spirit of the federal system. Therefore, unless the civil appeals (challenging the tribunal`s award and proposal to set CMB) are finally decided by` the Supreme Court, it is not appropriate to constitute a Management Board."
Shettar told reporters that he expects the central ministers from the state, who are all from Congress, the party that leads the central government, should press hard against setting up the CMB.
Central ministers from the state are Mallikarjun Kharge (labour), M. Veerappa Moily (petroleum), and KH Muniyappa, minister of state for small and medium industries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM