Karnataka CM sacks two more ministers
Bangalore: Beleaguered Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa Thursday sacked two cabinet ministers belonging to his Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for rebelling against him and withdrawing support to his 29-month-old government.
"The chief minister has recommended to Governor H.R. Bhardwaj to drop state fisheries minister Anand Asnotikar and Municipalities & Local Bodies Minister Balachandra Jarkhiholi from the ministry," an official in the Chief Minister`s Office said.
The two ministers were among the 19 rebel legislators, including 14 of the ruling party, who submitted a joint letter to the governor Wednesday, withdrawing support to the state government and forcing the governor to direct Yeddyurappa to prove majority in the state assembly by 5 p.m. Oct 12.
An unfazed Yeddyurappa, however, requested the governor to convene the assembly October 11 at 10 a.m. to seek the trust vote.
The chief minister Wednesday dropped all the four Independent ministers within minutes after they joined the dissident lawmakers and reduced the government to a minority.
The four Independent ministers were agriculture marketing & small scale industries minister Shivaraj S. Tangadagi, textile & sericulture minister Venkataramanappa, social welfare minister P.M Narendra Swamy and youth services & prisons minister D. Sudhakar.
State excise minister M.P. Renukacharya is the third rebel BJP minister who revolted against the state leadership and reported to have resigned late Wednesday.
"We have not received Renukacharya`s resignation so far. We cannot confirm as he is still out of Bangalore," the official said.
By late Wednesday, two BJP dissident legislators -- B.P. Harish and D.G. Patil -- returned to the Yeddyurappa fold, expressing confidence in his leadership.
In a related development, the party`s state unit president K. Eshwarappa expressed confidence that Yeddyurappa would prove majority on the floor of the house Oct 11.
"We are confident that the rebels will come back to the fold and stand by Yeddyurappa in this hour of crisis. There are indications that four-five dissident legislators are ready to toe the party line," Eshwarappa told reporters here.
The revolt has, however, reduced the strength of the Yeddyurappa government to 98 in the 225-member assembly, including one nominated member.
The opposition Congress has 73 legislators and the Janata Dal-Secular 28. The remaining six are Independents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India