Karnataka gave the country a direction to "expose" BJP: Manish Tewari
Mumbai: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Friday said Karnataka assembly polls results has given a cue to the people to "expose" BJP while voting in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Addressing a press conference at the Mumbai Congress office, Tewari said Karnataka had "given a direction to the rest of the country to expose the double standards" of BJP which has made democracy dysfunctional by stopping crucial legislations like the food security, land accquisition, pension and insurance bills.
Accusing BJP of preventing debate on the Food Security Bill, Tewari charged the main opposition party had disrupted Parliament to cover up for its "misdeeds" in Karnataka. "But, people of the state intervened decisively supporting the Congress," he added.
He said Congress will provide a stable, transparent government in Karnataka and will ensure the state`s natural resources are not plundered.
Asked about NCP President and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar`s comments that the Karnataka poll results cannot be regarded as a trend for UPA for 2014 elections, he said Karnataka gave a cue to defeat BJP and it was only Congress which can provide a stable government.
To another question about Pawar`s opposition to the food security legislation, he said the bill is being supported by all allies.
Replying to a question on the burden on the state exchequer due to subsidies, the minister said budgetary provision has been made in the current budget.
Replying to a query on how 67 per cent of the population will be benefitted when 35 per cent of the population is under BPL, he said the scope and magnitude of the bill extends beyond BPL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional