Karnataka gave the country a direction to "expose" BJP: Manish Tewari
Mumbai: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Friday said Karnataka assembly polls results has given a cue to the people to "expose" BJP while voting in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Addressing a press conference at the Mumbai Congress office, Tewari said Karnataka had "given a direction to the rest of the country to expose the double standards" of BJP which has made democracy dysfunctional by stopping crucial legislations like the food security, land accquisition, pension and insurance bills.
Accusing BJP of preventing debate on the Food Security Bill, Tewari charged the main opposition party had disrupted Parliament to cover up for its "misdeeds" in Karnataka. "But, people of the state intervened decisively supporting the Congress," he added.
He said Congress will provide a stable, transparent government in Karnataka and will ensure the state`s natural resources are not plundered.
Asked about NCP President and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar`s comments that the Karnataka poll results cannot be regarded as a trend for UPA for 2014 elections, he said Karnataka gave a cue to defeat BJP and it was only Congress which can provide a stable government.
To another question about Pawar`s opposition to the food security legislation, he said the bill is being supported by all allies.
Replying to a question on the burden on the state exchequer due to subsidies, the minister said budgetary provision has been made in the current budget.
Replying to a query on how 67 per cent of the population will be benefitted when 35 per cent of the population is under BPL, he said the scope and magnitude of the bill extends beyond BPL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi