Karnataka gave the country a direction to "expose" BJP: Manish Tewari
Mumbai: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Friday said Karnataka assembly polls results has given a cue to the people to "expose" BJP while voting in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Addressing a press conference at the Mumbai Congress office, Tewari said Karnataka had "given a direction to the rest of the country to expose the double standards" of BJP which has made democracy dysfunctional by stopping crucial legislations like the food security, land accquisition, pension and insurance bills.
Accusing BJP of preventing debate on the Food Security Bill, Tewari charged the main opposition party had disrupted Parliament to cover up for its "misdeeds" in Karnataka. "But, people of the state intervened decisively supporting the Congress," he added.
He said Congress will provide a stable, transparent government in Karnataka and will ensure the state`s natural resources are not plundered.
Asked about NCP President and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar`s comments that the Karnataka poll results cannot be regarded as a trend for UPA for 2014 elections, he said Karnataka gave a cue to defeat BJP and it was only Congress which can provide a stable government.
To another question about Pawar`s opposition to the food security legislation, he said the bill is being supported by all allies.
Replying to a question on the burden on the state exchequer due to subsidies, the minister said budgetary provision has been made in the current budget.
Replying to a query on how 67 per cent of the population will be benefitted when 35 per cent of the population is under BPL, he said the scope and magnitude of the bill extends beyond BPL.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump