Karnataka gave the country a direction to "expose" BJP: Manish Tewari
Mumbai: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Friday said Karnataka assembly polls results has given a cue to the people to "expose" BJP while voting in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Addressing a press conference at the Mumbai Congress office, Tewari said Karnataka had "given a direction to the rest of the country to expose the double standards" of BJP which has made democracy dysfunctional by stopping crucial legislations like the food security, land accquisition, pension and insurance bills.
Accusing BJP of preventing debate on the Food Security Bill, Tewari charged the main opposition party had disrupted Parliament to cover up for its "misdeeds" in Karnataka. "But, people of the state intervened decisively supporting the Congress," he added.
He said Congress will provide a stable, transparent government in Karnataka and will ensure the state`s natural resources are not plundered.
Asked about NCP President and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar`s comments that the Karnataka poll results cannot be regarded as a trend for UPA for 2014 elections, he said Karnataka gave a cue to defeat BJP and it was only Congress which can provide a stable government.
To another question about Pawar`s opposition to the food security legislation, he said the bill is being supported by all allies.
Replying to a question on the burden on the state exchequer due to subsidies, the minister said budgetary provision has been made in the current budget.
Replying to a query on how 67 per cent of the population will be benefitted when 35 per cent of the population is under BPL, he said the scope and magnitude of the bill extends beyond BPL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'