Karnataka Governor Hansraj Bhardwaj meets Narendra Modi
New Delhi: Karnataka Governor Hansraj Bhardwaj on Thursday met Prime Minister Narendra Modi amid moves by the NDA government to seek the resignation of Governors appointed during the UPA rule.
Governor of Karnataka H R Bhardwaj called on the Prime Minister, the Prime Minister`s Office said in tweet.
Yesterday, the Karnataka Governor had said Governors cannot resign unless their replacements are in place.
"There is a provision in the constitution that the Governor shall continue unless the new Governor is appointed. So, that has been the provision, how can you act irresponsibly"?... Governors cannot resign. They have to stay according to the constitution in their headquarters unless the President appoints a new Governor", he said.
Uttar Pradesh Governor B L Joshi had yesterday resigned as the Modi government started the process of removing Governors appointed by the previous regime.
Kerala Governor Shiela Dikshit and four more Governors are understood to have been asked to make way in the wake of the change of government at the Centre.
Among those who are understood to have been called by Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami for the prod to resign are Sheila Dikshit who was appointed just on the eve of the announcement of Lok Sabha polls and West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan.
Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal, who did not share good relations with Modi during his tenure as Chief Minister, may also be on the way out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion