Karnataka Governor Hansraj Bhardwaj meets Narendra Modi
New Delhi: Karnataka Governor Hansraj Bhardwaj on Thursday met Prime Minister Narendra Modi amid moves by the NDA government to seek the resignation of Governors appointed during the UPA rule.
Governor of Karnataka H R Bhardwaj called on the Prime Minister, the Prime Minister`s Office said in tweet.
Yesterday, the Karnataka Governor had said Governors cannot resign unless their replacements are in place.
"There is a provision in the constitution that the Governor shall continue unless the new Governor is appointed. So, that has been the provision, how can you act irresponsibly"?... Governors cannot resign. They have to stay according to the constitution in their headquarters unless the President appoints a new Governor", he said.
Uttar Pradesh Governor B L Joshi had yesterday resigned as the Modi government started the process of removing Governors appointed by the previous regime.
Kerala Governor Shiela Dikshit and four more Governors are understood to have been asked to make way in the wake of the change of government at the Centre.
Among those who are understood to have been called by Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami for the prod to resign are Sheila Dikshit who was appointed just on the eve of the announcement of Lok Sabha polls and West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan.
Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal, who did not share good relations with Modi during his tenure as Chief Minister, may also be on the way out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez