Karnataka govt directs police to step up vigil on V-day
Bangalore: Bracing itself to counter the
threat by right wing Sri Rama Sene to disrupt Valentine`s
Day celebrations, the BJP government in Karnataka on Friday
directed police to step up vigil at all sensitive places.
"We will maintain vigil. Those celebrating Valentine`s
Day should not cross the limits. Same rule applies to moral
policing too," State Home Minister VS Acharya told reporters
here after holding a meeting with top police officials.
The meeting comes in the wake of some youths, allegedly
belonging to the Youth Congress, blackening the face of Sri
Rama Sene founder Pramod Mutalik here yesterday.
"I condemn such attacks. Congress should restrain their
workers", Acharya said, referring to the incident which
occurred when Mutalik was getting ready to take part in a
debate on Valentine`s day, organised by a local Kannada TV
channel in an open air theatre.
The youths barged in the event and dragged Mutalik from
the stage and blackened his face and also tried to assault
"It is (V-Day) not our culture. The culture of some other
country should not be imposed on us", Acharya said, but
immediately added that his remarks should not be labelled
as opposition to Valentine`s day celebrations.
The state has sizeable population which supports moral
policing and its critics, he said and pointed out that none
had come forward to lodge formal police complaint even today
over the attack on girls at a pub in Mangalore in 2008,
allegedly by Sene activists.
"Even visual media has not been cooperating in providing
evidence", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town