Karnataka HC differs on disqualification of MLAs
Bangalore: In what may come as a breather for Chief Minister BS Yedyurappa, the two-judge bench of the Karnataka High Court on Monday differed on the disqualification of 11 BJP MLAs under the anti-defection law by Assembly Speaker KG Bopaiah.
According to reports, the two-member bench led by Chief Justice Khehar Singh and Justice N Kumar held different views on the disqualification of MLAs by the Speaker.
On the disqualification of 11 BJP MLAs, Chief Justice Khehar Singh upheld the Speaker`s order but Justice N Kumar rejected it categorically. The bench posted matter of 11 BJP MLAs for hearing before a third judge on Oct 20.
On the disqualification of 5 Independent MLAs, the bench agreed that it should be heard by "some other bench".
The development took place after a petition filed by five independent MLAs, challenging their disqualification from the state Assembly, came up for hearing in the Karnataka High Court today.
In the petition, the five independent MLAs contended that they cannot be disqualified as they won the election as independents.
As of now the court’s ruling has come as a big relief for the BJP government, which has pinned high hopes on the court ruling since its fate still hangs in balance.
The court had last week ruled that the outcome of the October 14 trust vote of the BS Yeddyurappa government would be subject to its final decision on this petition.
The High Court, which had reserved orders on the petitions filed by 11 rebel BJP MLAs, challenging their disqualification under anti-defection law by Assembly Speaker KG Bopaiah, had refused interim relief to all the 16 MLAs, who sought a stay on their disqualification.
They had also filed an advanced application before the court on October 13 on the eve of the Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa seeking the second trust vote for an order to allow them to vote in person or to keep their votes in a sealed cover till the court announced its verdict, which was also rejected.
The Speaker had disqualified 16 MLAs on October 10, a day ahead of the first vote of confidence bringing down the effective strength of the 224-member Assembly to 208.
Though Yeddyurappa won the trust vote by voice vote, Governor HR Bhardwaj rejected it as a "farce" and directed him to go in for the second floor test on October 14, which the chief minister managed to win by head court by a margin of 106-100. Two MLAs -- Manappa Vajjal from BJP and MC Ashwath of JD(S) -- were absent which brought down the effective strength of the 224-member Assembly to 206.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22