Karnataka HC summons Mallya in winding up case
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Monday directed UB Group Chairman Vijay Mallya to appear before it tomorrow in connection with a bunch of winding up petitions filed by creditors who are trying to get back close to Rs 600 crore from his company.
Justice Ram Mohan Reddy asked Mallya to appear in court and bring along his passport.
Certain companies, including BNP Paribas, which are creditors to United Breweries Holding Limited had filed company petitions in the High Court seeking winding up of UBHL as the holding company was unable to pay its debts.
UBHL, holding company of the UB Group, is contesting in the court the admission of six winding up petitions filed by aircraft lessors and financiers of crisis-hit Kingfisher Airlines last year.
The creditors are trying to get back close to Rs 600 crore and had almost stalled the share sale of UBHL`s holdings in United Spirits to Diageo, global spirits major.
However, the court had earlier granted approval to UBHL to go ahead with the share sale provided UBHL submitted Rs 250 crore as guarantees to it.
While UBHL has submitted the same, the court has been hearing the winding up petitions.
Mallya last week had expressed the hope of reaching out-of-court settlements with two of the five petitioners and said the company was having serious counter claims against three of the petitioners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister