Karnataka releases Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu
Bangalore: Karnataka on Thursday night began releasing Cauvery river water to Tamil Nadu from the Krishna Raja Sagar Reservoir as per a Supreme Court directive.
Irrigation Department sources said four crush gates of the reservoir have been opened for releasing water.
The current water level at the reservoir stood at 9.08 ft as against its full level of 124 ft, they said.
The apex court had on Wednesday in an interim order directed Karnataka to release 10,000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day to Tamil Nadu, and asked the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC) to hold its meeting to decide the amount of water required by the states.
The court had also said the interim order would continue till the CMC files its report.
It also asked the Committee to meet on December 07 or December 08 to find out water requirement for crops in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka for the month of December. The report would be submitted to the authority concerned.
"Both states are distressed and we have to see that we can save crops of both the states. We would keep our eyes open to the requirement of both the states and find out practical solution of the problem," the bench had observed.
Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar had stated in the Assembly that he would lead a team of MPs from the Cauvery basin on Friday to meet the Prime Minister for apprising him of the distress situation in his state.
The delegation would brief him on the "poignant situation" in the state which is hit by drought and water shortage, Shettar said.
He said they would also seek legal opinion and views of experts before deciding the next step on the issue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged