Karthikeyan for US-like process to appoint CBI director
Ahmedabad: Former CBI director DR Karthikeyan, famous for his successful investigation of the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, on Friday denied that the central agency can be manipulated by the government, but suggested a US-like appointment process for the director`s post.
"Unfortunately, the prevailing perception among majority of the political parties and the public is the party in power is using CBI to settle scores....This is actually not right. CBI is independent," Karthikeyan said on the sidelines of an event at Nirma University here.
"Still, I believe that to win back public confidence and (for) effective functioning, CBI should be given more freedom. The Prime Minister, Home Minister and leader of opposition party should shortlist the candidates for the director`s post, which they should then subject to a public debate, like in the United States," he said.
With this system, nobody would lobby for the post, and CBI`s independence and effective functioning would be ensured, he said.
The CBI was facing a staff shortage, he said, adding that Union Government should address this issue urgently, as it was the best probe agency in the country at present.
Karthikeyan, who also served as CRPF-DG, also said all the officers who hold key positions should be barred from accepting government jobs for three years post-retirement.
Police, in many states, were politicised, he said, adding that the ruling party`s leaders decided who should be Station Head Officer in his constituency, and such interference led to erosion of public confidence.
Compared to other states, he said, Gujarat had better governance and there was no large-scale corruption.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know