Karuna calls for solutions to Sri Lankan Tamils issue
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Sunday called for "short, medium and long-term solutions" to address the various aspects of Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
Addressing a conclave at the Eelam Tamils Rights Protection Conference here, he said "the short-term and medium term solutions include resettlement and rehabilitation of displaced Tamils, besides reconstruction of infrastructural and civic facilities."
"Long-term solution is a political solution which has been discussed and debated for a very long time," the DMK patriarch told the conclave, a prelude to the international conference scheduled later for the day.
He also expressed anguish that Sri Lankan military runs "a state of emergency" in the Tamil areas.
The pro-Eelam meet called by the DMK has run into rough weather with city police refusing permission, forcing the party to change the venue of its much touted event, even as the Centre did a U-turn saying it had no objection to the word `Eelam` (separate homeland) being used.
A single judge of Madras High court had yesterday declined to hear a plea by Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation, challenging the ban citing security reasons.
The matter will come up before a bench later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster