Karuna calls for solutions to Sri Lankan Tamils issue
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Sunday called for "short, medium and long-term solutions" to address the various aspects of Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
Addressing a conclave at the Eelam Tamils Rights Protection Conference here, he said "the short-term and medium term solutions include resettlement and rehabilitation of displaced Tamils, besides reconstruction of infrastructural and civic facilities."
"Long-term solution is a political solution which has been discussed and debated for a very long time," the DMK patriarch told the conclave, a prelude to the international conference scheduled later for the day.
He also expressed anguish that Sri Lankan military runs "a state of emergency" in the Tamil areas.
The pro-Eelam meet called by the DMK has run into rough weather with city police refusing permission, forcing the party to change the venue of its much touted event, even as the Centre did a U-turn saying it had no objection to the word `Eelam` (separate homeland) being used.
A single judge of Madras High court had yesterday declined to hear a plea by Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation, challenging the ban citing security reasons.
The matter will come up before a bench later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter