Karuna congratulates Pranab Mukherjee
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Sunday greeted Pranab Mukherjee on his win in the Presidential election saying Mukherjee secured majority of the votes because he was a "good democrat" and an "administrator".
"Yes. This evening he telephoned me to convey his heartfelt gratitude. I congratulated him on his victory in the election on behalf of my party", Karunanidhi told reporters.
"Mukherjee is a good democrat and an administrator. Because of the faith reposed on him, he secured more votes (in the election)", said Karunanidhi whose party is a key constituent of the ruling UPA.
Mukherjee had started his campaign for the election from Tamil Nadu after meeting the 88-year-old Karunanidhi.
To a query on whether he would take part in Mukherjee`s swearing in ceremony on July 25, Karunanidhi said,"on behalf of the party, Parliamentary party leader T R Baalu and other MPs will participate".
On whether his party would urge Mukherjee to cancel the death sentence of Rajiv Gandhi`s three assassins Perarivalan, Murugan and Santhan, Karunanidhi said they had already made an appeal on the matter.
"I have already said about it. My opinion is that normally there should not be any death sentence. An appeal has been made on behalf of the party", he said.
On whether this victory in the Presidential election would continue in the 2014 General elections, Karunanidhi said, "I definitely hope so".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter