Karuna congratulates Pranab Mukherjee
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Sunday greeted Pranab Mukherjee on his win in the Presidential election saying Mukherjee secured majority of the votes because he was a "good democrat" and an "administrator".
"Yes. This evening he telephoned me to convey his heartfelt gratitude. I congratulated him on his victory in the election on behalf of my party", Karunanidhi told reporters.
"Mukherjee is a good democrat and an administrator. Because of the faith reposed on him, he secured more votes (in the election)", said Karunanidhi whose party is a key constituent of the ruling UPA.
Mukherjee had started his campaign for the election from Tamil Nadu after meeting the 88-year-old Karunanidhi.
To a query on whether he would take part in Mukherjee`s swearing in ceremony on July 25, Karunanidhi said,"on behalf of the party, Parliamentary party leader T R Baalu and other MPs will participate".
On whether his party would urge Mukherjee to cancel the death sentence of Rajiv Gandhi`s three assassins Perarivalan, Murugan and Santhan, Karunanidhi said they had already made an appeal on the matter.
"I have already said about it. My opinion is that normally there should not be any death sentence. An appeal has been made on behalf of the party", he said.
On whether this victory in the Presidential election would continue in the 2014 General elections, Karunanidhi said, "I definitely hope so".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir