Karuna for steps to prevent recurrence of submarine fire
Chennai: Observing that the Naval submarine explosion ahead of Independence Day celebrations has shocked everyone, DMK President M Karunanidhi on Thursday said the Centre should take all precautionary measures to prevent recurrence of such tragic incidents.
"This was the worst accident in the history of Indian Navy during non-combat time. The investigation should probe whether it was an act of sabotage. It can also be a result of terrorist attack," he said in a statement, adding that the actual cause will be known only after the inquiry.
A conventional submarine of Indian Navy had exploded after a fire on board and sank in the dockyard yesterday in Mumbai, in which 18 personnel, including three officers, are feared to have been killed.
Referring to Navy Chief Admiral D K Joshi`s statements who indicated there was little hope of survival of 18 personnel on board the submarine, Karunanidhi said, "if that is true, proper action should be taken to identify cause of the incident including why safety equipment failed to function."
Noting that the loss of the submarine was considered a "big setback" to the Navy, he said people responsible for the security of the nation should not be "negligent."
He said the "tragic incident" occurred just days after the proud achievements of the launch of indigenous aircraft carrier `INS Vikrant`, and generation of electricity using atomic energy in a submarine.
Karunanidhi urged the Centre to provide financial assistance to the families of the personnel who might have been killed.
"I appeal that all precautionary measures should be taken to ensure that such incidents do not occur again," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo