Karunakaran names daughter Padmaja political heir
Thiruvananthapuram: Veteran Kerala politician K Karunakaran, who has rejoined the Congress, Saturday named his daughter, Padmaja Venugopal, his political heir.
This was announced at a meeting of well-wishers of the veteran at his house here. A resolution was read out saying that Padmaja will be the political heir of Karunakaran.
The meeting was attended by Congress leaders close to Karunakaran.
Karunakaran`s son K Muraleedharan, who is still waiting to make a comeback to the party, was not present. He had been Karunakaran`s heir a few years back when he alongwith his father had left the Congress.
With the latest development, Padmaja seems to have won the battle between the siblings.
Reacting sharply to the development, Muraleedharan said his father was still strong enough to lead the Congress party.
"Just to get power, the father has been taken a hostage, but this cannot go on for long," said Muraleedharan.
Meanwhile, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, asked about the renewed factionalism in the state unit of the party, said it was best that everyone stood united.
"If we are united then we can create wonders. All have to introspect if we want to perish or to reach newer heights," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Belgian jazz musician Toots Thielemans dies at 94
- Finance Ministry expects new RBI Governor Urjit Patel to push growth while checking inflation
- Tata Motors launches two new commercial vehicles in Indonesia
- ArcelorMittal to pay $110 million fine for price fixing in South Africa
- Sisodia attacks PM on 'killer' Chinese manjha, demands ban on import