Karunakaran names daughter Padmaja political heir
Thiruvananthapuram: Veteran Kerala politician K Karunakaran, who has rejoined the Congress, Saturday named his daughter, Padmaja Venugopal, his political heir.
This was announced at a meeting of well-wishers of the veteran at his house here. A resolution was read out saying that Padmaja will be the political heir of Karunakaran.
The meeting was attended by Congress leaders close to Karunakaran.
Karunakaran`s son K Muraleedharan, who is still waiting to make a comeback to the party, was not present. He had been Karunakaran`s heir a few years back when he alongwith his father had left the Congress.
With the latest development, Padmaja seems to have won the battle between the siblings.
Reacting sharply to the development, Muraleedharan said his father was still strong enough to lead the Congress party.
"Just to get power, the father has been taken a hostage, but this cannot go on for long," said Muraleedharan.
Meanwhile, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, asked about the renewed factionalism in the state unit of the party, said it was best that everyone stood united.
"If we are united then we can create wonders. All have to introspect if we want to perish or to reach newer heights," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living