Karunanidhi decries efforts to stall Sethusamudram project
Chennai: Decrying efforts to stall the multi-crore Sethusamudram Shipping Channel Project, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday said it had been in consideration since the days of former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru-led government but `Ramasethu` was causing roadblocks now.
He said various technical studies since 1955 had argued for feasibility of the project in the Palk Straits and that National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) was in 2001 handed over the task of taking up new studies by then BJP government.
In a letter to party workers, the 88 year-old leader, a strong supporter of the project, said NEERI had recommended Alignment No.6 which he said included Adam`s Bridge (Ramasethu).
"BJP which had approved the alignment then, is opposing it now," he said referring to the March 3 BJP National Council meeting where the party had said any tampering with the ancient structure would not be acceptable to the party.
He said the Environment and Forest Ministry had given its clearance in 2005 after various studies, adding "it is clear that the area around Adam`s Bridge had no geographical evidence to show the existence of a man-made structure." Neither was there any archaeological proof.
While AIADMK general secretary and chief Minister J Jayalalithaa was now opposing the project in the light of Ramasethu, the party`s election manifestos in 2001 and 2004 had argued for the project, he said.
Karunanidhi said that in 1998 then Prime Minister A B Vajpayee had promised to implement the project.
At various points of time, the term Ramasethu never found a mention and was only known as Adam`s Bridge, he said and pressed for the implementation of the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25