Karunanidhi decries efforts to stall Sethusamudram project
Chennai: Decrying efforts to stall the multi-crore Sethusamudram Shipping Channel Project, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday said it had been in consideration since the days of former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru-led government but `Ramasethu` was causing roadblocks now.
He said various technical studies since 1955 had argued for feasibility of the project in the Palk Straits and that National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) was in 2001 handed over the task of taking up new studies by then BJP government.
In a letter to party workers, the 88 year-old leader, a strong supporter of the project, said NEERI had recommended Alignment No.6 which he said included Adam`s Bridge (Ramasethu).
"BJP which had approved the alignment then, is opposing it now," he said referring to the March 3 BJP National Council meeting where the party had said any tampering with the ancient structure would not be acceptable to the party.
He said the Environment and Forest Ministry had given its clearance in 2005 after various studies, adding "it is clear that the area around Adam`s Bridge had no geographical evidence to show the existence of a man-made structure." Neither was there any archaeological proof.
While AIADMK general secretary and chief Minister J Jayalalithaa was now opposing the project in the light of Ramasethu, the party`s election manifestos in 2001 and 2004 had argued for the project, he said.
Karunanidhi said that in 1998 then Prime Minister A B Vajpayee had promised to implement the project.
At various points of time, the term Ramasethu never found a mention and was only known as Adam`s Bridge, he said and pressed for the implementation of the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre