Kasab hanging: BJP says fast track terror cases
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday welcomed 26/11 attack convict Ajmal Kasab`s hanging but underlined the need for a more serious approach to combating terrorism, including fast tracking of such cases, prompt implementation of sentences and pressurising Pakistan to stop cross-border terror.
"Better late than never. Kasab`s hanging will act as a balm on the wounds of the people of Mumbai but their wounds are still fresh. They will get relief only when Kasab`s handler`s across the border are brought to justice," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
BJP Chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad emphasised on pressurising Pakistan to act against terror. The party also appealed to Islamabad to take strong and effective measures to bring to book all those- be they from the army or terrorists- who conspired, handled and abetted the Mumbai terror attack.
"We also favour good relations between India and Pakistan. But till Pakistan takes effective and credible action against terror (sponsored from its soil) as agreed in the treaty signed on January 6, 2004 between Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf, relations between the two countries will not be very normal," he said.
BJP also pointed out that Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru has still not been hanged.
"It has been over six years since Afzal Guru was sentenced to death and his review and other petitions were rejected by the Supreme Court but why has no action has been taken? I hope the government will expedite the processing of all mercy petitions," Prasad said.
Prasad maintained that he has always insisted fast
tracking of all mercy petitions of serious offenders.
"Why are the petitions of those convicted by the Supreme Court in terror acts not being fast-tracked? We appeal to the Government of India to think seriously on this issue. Terrorism is a big conspiracy against India in which foreign forces are also involved," Prasad said.
Sangh founthead RSS also welcomed the hanging of Kasab.
"We welcome the decision of the Government of India to hang Pakistani terrorist Amir Ajmal Kasab who killed several innocent people in the November 26, 2008 attack on Mumbai," RSS publicity chief Manmohan Vaidya said in a statement.
But the RSS maintained that the real tribute to the jawans who sacrificed their life while protecting Parliament House in the 2001 attack would be fast implementation of the Supreme Court decision to hang Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
Shahnawaz Hussain also demanded that Afzal Guru be hanged soon to send across a strong message to the terrorists and instill a sense of fear in them.
BJP also welcomed President Pranab Mukherjee`s prompt refusal of Kasab`s mercy petition.
BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said Kasab`s hanging will serve as a warning and a lesson to his bosses across the border.
"The country expects our government to send such strong message and give such punishment to those who have bloodied their hands with the death of hundreds of innocent people," Naqvi said.
This hanging sends a strong message to India`s enemies, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says