Kasab hanging ends the unfinished chapter of 26/11: US victim
New York: An American national who lost both her husband and daughter in the 26/11 terror attacks said the hanging of Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab has removed an "irritant" from the city of Mumbai which will now be able to move on in peace.
Kia Scherr had lost her husband Alan and daughter Naomi when the Pakistani terrorists attacked the Oberoi Hotel in Mumbai in the November 2008 attacks.
Scherr`s husband was shot at the back of the head and died instantly while her 13-year-old daughter was shot multiple times and bled to death.
"In this case, in this city, under these circumstances, this is the most appropriate consequence. It will help the city to move on in peace," Scherr who has made Mumbai her second home over the past two years, said.
Scherr said while justice can never be fully restored in this case, "a part of it has been laid to rest".
"Now let us be the peace we wish to see in the world. True justice is restored when we join together as one unified whole to live in peace, compassion and love. An irritant has been removed from the city of Mumbai - an unfinished chapter to the 26/11 tragedy," she said.
Scherr said she had been informed that a peace march would be held in Mumbai from three of the locations targeted in the 26/11 attcaks to the Gateway of India.
Thousands of students are expected to walk for peace on November 25, a day before India marks the fourth anniversary of the deadly terror attacks that killed over 160 people, including foreigners, during the three days that Mumbai was held hostage by Kasab and nine other Pakistani gunmen.
Scherr had also written a letter to Kasab, who was lodged in Mumbai`s Arthur jail, in which she said "Life as I knew it ended when my husband and daughter were killed. Just like that, a family is no more, and so a part of me died along with them".
"I am no longer the wife and mother of Alan and Naomi Scherr. Your life was supposed to end in the Mumbai terrorist attack. You survived, but life as you knew it, too, has ended.
"You are no longer the terrorist on jihad as you sit alone each day in your jail cell awaiting your execution. Your identity as a terrorist has been stripped away, as was my identity as wife and mother".
In the letter Scherr said Kasab may have destroyed individual lives for which he needs to be accountable, "but the sacred life that resides in each of us can never be destroyed, no matter how big and powerful your weapon".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'