Kasab hanging ends the unfinished chapter of 26/11: US victim
New York: An American national who lost both her husband and daughter in the 26/11 terror attacks said the hanging of Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab has removed an "irritant" from the city of Mumbai which will now be able to move on in peace.
Kia Scherr had lost her husband Alan and daughter Naomi when the Pakistani terrorists attacked the Oberoi Hotel in Mumbai in the November 2008 attacks.
Scherr`s husband was shot at the back of the head and died instantly while her 13-year-old daughter was shot multiple times and bled to death.
"In this case, in this city, under these circumstances, this is the most appropriate consequence. It will help the city to move on in peace," Scherr who has made Mumbai her second home over the past two years, said.
Scherr said while justice can never be fully restored in this case, "a part of it has been laid to rest".
"Now let us be the peace we wish to see in the world. True justice is restored when we join together as one unified whole to live in peace, compassion and love. An irritant has been removed from the city of Mumbai - an unfinished chapter to the 26/11 tragedy," she said.
Scherr said she had been informed that a peace march would be held in Mumbai from three of the locations targeted in the 26/11 attcaks to the Gateway of India.
Thousands of students are expected to walk for peace on November 25, a day before India marks the fourth anniversary of the deadly terror attacks that killed over 160 people, including foreigners, during the three days that Mumbai was held hostage by Kasab and nine other Pakistani gunmen.
Scherr had also written a letter to Kasab, who was lodged in Mumbai`s Arthur jail, in which she said "Life as I knew it ended when my husband and daughter were killed. Just like that, a family is no more, and so a part of me died along with them".
"I am no longer the wife and mother of Alan and Naomi Scherr. Your life was supposed to end in the Mumbai terrorist attack. You survived, but life as you knew it, too, has ended.
"You are no longer the terrorist on jihad as you sit alone each day in your jail cell awaiting your execution. Your identity as a terrorist has been stripped away, as was my identity as wife and mother".
In the letter Scherr said Kasab may have destroyed individual lives for which he needs to be accountable, "but the sacred life that resides in each of us can never be destroyed, no matter how big and powerful your weapon".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened