Kasab not fasting during Ramzan: Official
Mumbai: Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir
Kasab, convicted and awarded death sentence for his role in
the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, is not observing fast during
the ongoing Islamic month of Ramzan, a senior official of
Arthur Road jail said.
Though Kasab had observed fast for a select few days
during last Ramzan, this year he had expressed his
unwillingness for the same, said Arthur Road jail
superintendent Rajendra Dhamale.
"We had informed him about Ramzan in advance. But
Kasab said he would not observe fast this time," Dhamle added.
A jail source said the terrorist though continued to
eat his daily food, he rarely strikes chat with the security
"However, he continues to pray daily as and when he
feels like," said the source.
During the month of Ramzan, Muslims observe fast
(roza) for the whole month. The fasting period starts from an
hour before daybreak till after sunset.
Kasab, who is lodged in the infamous anda (egg shaped)
cell in high security Arthur Road prison, recently moved the
Supreme Court challenging his conviction and death sentence in
the 26/11 Mumbai attacks.
The Bombay High Court in its February 21 verdict
upheld the death sentence of Kasab for the "brutal and
diabolical" attacks aimed at "destabilising" the federal
Nearly 166 people were killed in a series of planned
terror attacks on the financial capital of the country on 26th
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report