Kasab reappears on video link; smiles, yawns

Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab today came for a brief period, smiled, yawned and set his hair before walking away.

Mumbai: A day after refusing to appear
through video link before the Bombay High Court, hearing
arguments on confirmation of his death sentence in the 26/11
attacks case, Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab today came for a
brief period, smiled, yawned and set his hair before walking

Kasab, who is lodged in the high security Arthur Road
prison here, appeared at 11 am. However, 45 minutes later, he
walked out after taking leave from the jail authorities.

On Wednesday, he threw tantrums by spitting at a
webcam demanding to be physically present in the court. Kasab
had refused to come for the hearing yesterday.

Kasab was today seen smiling, yawning, stretching and
setting his hair on the video link as a division bench of
justices Ranjana Desai and R V More was hearing arguments of
government counsel Ujjwal Nikam.

In a related development, Jail Superintendent Rajendra
Dhamane justified his stand of not allowing defence lawyer
Amin Solkar to meet Kasab after court hours. He told the court
that the rule could not violated in this case.

Dhamane said Solkar was welcome to meet Kasab before
6 pm on any working day and he would get 15 minutes grace
period till 6.15 pm.

Solkar assured that he would abide by the rules and
meet his client within the stipulated deadline (by 6 pm).

On Tuesday, Solkar was not allowed to meet Kasab as he
had reached the jail after the close of working hours, at 6.30
pm. Since he made a grievance to the court, the prison
superintendent was called to clarify.

The government counsel submitted before the court
evidence of police constable Arun Jadhav, who had witnessed
the killings of top police officers Hemant Karkare, Ashok
Kamate and Vijay Salaskar outside Cama hospital.

As Nikam read out the statement of Jadhav, who was the
lone survivor among the police officials in the incident
outside Cama hospital, justice Ranjana Desai remarked, "He is
the only survivor...It is a miracle."

The judges also asked the state to provide them with
post mortem and panchnama reports of the three slain police
officers. Nikam then read out portions pertaining to the
incident from Kasab`s confession before a magistrate.

The state counsel referred to the evidence of Sharan
Arsa, whose Skoda car was stolen by Kasab and slain terrorist
partner Abu Ismael near Vidhan Sabha in south Mumbai.

The terrorist duo after fleeing with the Skoda car
were intercepted by police officials at Girgaum Chowpatty
where Abu was killed in encounter while Kasab captured alive.

On May 6, the trial court had sentenced Kasab to death
for his role in the killing of 166 people in the terror
attacks on November 26, 2008. The capital punishment awarded
to Kasab has been referred to the high court for confirmation.

The high court would also hear the appeal filed by
Kasab against his conviction and death sentence as well as the
appeal filed by the State against the acquittal of Faheem
Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, who were charged with conspiracy.

Faheem today pleaded that he wanted to see a dentist
as he had a tooth problem. The court asked the authorities to
take him to St George Hospital for treatment.