Kasab responsible for deaths at Taj, Oberoi, Nariman: Nikam
Mumbai: 26/11 convict Ajmal Kasab was responsible for the death of many people in Nariman House and Taj and Oberoi-Trident hotels although he directly did not participate in the dastardly acts at these places, government counsel Ujjwal Nikam told the Bombay High Court on Monday.
All the 10 terrorists carried mobiles which were used
by them to talk to their handlers in Pakistan but only five of
them were recovered from the slain attackers while the rest
were destroyed in the mayhem caused due to deadly explosions
at various places targetted by them, Nikam said in his
arguments aimed at establishing Kasab`s role in the attacks.
Each mobile phone recovered from them showed a common
number which was that of their handlers in Pakistan, he said.
Kasab and his partner Abu Ismael also carried mobile
phones and both made attempts to talk to their handlers when
they reached Chhatrapati Shivaji railway terminus here but
could not establish contact... This was revealed by Kasab
before a magistrate, Nikam argued.
see less crowd at CST because they wanted to kill large number
of people, Nikam told justices Ranjana Desai and R V More who
are hearing the confirmation of death sentence awarded to the
Pakistani terrorist and his appeal against conviction.
However, the mobile phones of Kasab and Ismael could
not be recovered because Ismael had put them in his pocket and
might have dropped them while moving from one place to
another, Nikam told the court.
The government counsel told the court that slain
terrorist Imran Babar learnt from his Pakistan-based handler
that Kasab had been arrested by police and he (Imran) tried to
negotiate on telephone with Israeli Consulate for his release
in exchange of hostages.
Nikam harped on intercepted talks between handlers and
terrorists to prove how Kasab was responsible for the terror
attacks at Nariman House and hotels Taj Mahal and Oberoi, why
the charge of "waging war against nation" was justified in
this case and how conspiracy was hatched by LeT to rope in
Kasab and nine others in the crime.
Nikam said the conspirators had opened account with
CALLPHONEX, a VOIP based in New Jersy, US, to facilitate their
calls with the terrorists on their mobile phones. FBI had also
informed India that money was sent from Pakistan to New Jersey
through Money Gram.
To a query by judges as to why conspirators had opened
account with CALLPHONEX when they could have directly talked
to the particular number on mobile phones, Nikam said the sole
purpose of the planners was to hide the identity of Pakistan.
Asserting that the 26/11 attacks were state-sponsored
act of terrorism, Nikam said fictitious account was opened
with CALLPHONEX in the name of Khadak Singh. Terrorists wore
red thread on their wrists to give an impression that they
were Hindus and they carried bogus identity cards with Indian
identities to mislead investigation authorities, Nikam said.
Nikam has already submitted arguments on how Kasab had
killed people at CST, in and outside Cama Hospital and other
places. Arguments will continue tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya
- Nandita Das is a capable director: Nawazuddin Siddiqui