Kasab statement not confession but admission of guilt: Judge

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 18:29

Mumbai: The special court trying the lone
surviving terrorist in 26/11 Mumbai terror strikes, Mohammed
Ajmal Kasab, today said the Pakistani gunman`s statement
pleading guilty before it was not a confession but an
admission of guilt.

Judge M L Tahaliyani said Kasab`s statement before the
court was "broadly speaking not a confession but an admission
of guilt."

Tahaliyani`s observation came after Kasab concluded his
version of events related to November 26 terror strikes.

In a dramatic turn of events, Kasab yesterday confessed
to his involvement in the terror strikes at CST and other
locations, apart from giving a detailed description of his
training by Lashkar-e-Taiba in Pakistan.

Kasab was free to plead guilty at any point of time
during the course of the trial, the court observed.

The court would need to verify whether Kasab was
genuinely pleading his guilt as there were many charges
against him, Judge Tahaliyani said.

The court could then accept or reject Kasab`s statement
or accept his plea and continue with the trial, the judge
said.

Kasab, who was caught alive during the Mumbai attacks,
had already recorded a confession before a magistrate but
later withdrew it alleging it was obtained through coercion by
police.

The gunman had earlier pleaded not guilty to the charges
framed against him.

Bureau Report



First Published: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 18:29

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus