Kasab to appeal to SC against death verdict
Mumbai: Ajmal Amir Kasab, the Pakistani terrorist convicted for the 26/11 attacks on Mumbai, will appeal to the Supreme Court against the death sentence awarded to him, his lawyer said here Wednesday.
The Bombay High Court Monday upheld the death sentence the trial court awarded to Kasab for his role in the 26/11 attack.
"In my brief meeting with Kasab, I told him that he can file appeal to the Supreme Court challenging the death sentence awarded to him," Kasab`s lawyer Farhana Shah said.
"`Hum appeal karenge` (I will appeal), Kasab told me," Shah added.
Shah, however, mentioned that she is yet to receive the copy of the order of the Bombay High Court.
"The process of filing an appeal in the Supreme Court can be started only after we receive an order copy," she said.
A division bench of the Bombay High Court comprising Justice Ranjana Desai and Justice RV More dismissed Kasab`s appeal challenging the death sentence given to him by Special Judge ML Tahaliyani in May 2010.
A total of 166 people were killed in the mayhem let loose by Kasab and nine other Pakistani gunmen during the 60-hour Mumbai terror attacks. While he was caught alive, the nine other terrorists were killed in gun battles with the security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!