Kasab to remain in Arthur Road jail: Home Dept
Mumbai: Maharashtra Home Department on Friday
decided not to shift Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab from the
high-security Arthur Road jail in south Mumbai after a special
court awarded him capital punishment in the 26/11 case.
"We have decided to keep Kasab in Arthur Road jail
at least for some time," Additional Chief Secretary (Home),
Chandra Iyengar told agency.
The decision was taken at a high-level meeting of Home
Department officials held here. Kasab, 22, has been lodged in
the high security jail since his arrest in 2008.
"If we have to move him to Bombay High Court, the
Arthur Road jail is convenient and it already has all the
security measures in place. Shifting Kasab to other place can
be considered later," Iyengar said.
Kasab was awarded the death sentence yesterday by a
special court here which held that keeping him alive will be a
"lingering danger" to society from a person who has no chance
On the process of appeal in High Court against the
verdict, Home Minister R R Patil had said he would request the
Centre to fast track the High Court procedure as the charges
against Kasab are serious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow