Kasab to stay at Arthur Road jail for some time
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has
decided not to shift Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, the lone Pakistani
gunman arrested during the 26/11 Mumbai attack, from the
high-security Arthur Road prison here till the Supreme
Court disposes of his appeal against the death penalty.
There was speculation that he would be shifted to
Yerwada jail in Pune, the biggest prison in the state, for
security reasons. Arthur Road prison mostly houses under-trial
"Kasab has sent a proposal to the Supreme Court through
the jailer, saying he wishes to appeal against the Bombay High
Court judgement (which confirmed his death sentence). The apex
court is yet to accept the appeal. Until the Court takes it up
and disposes of the case, Kasab would be at Arthur Road," said
a senior state home department official.
The High Court, on February 21 this year, confirmed the
death penalty awarded to Kasab by the trial court, while
dismissing the government`s appeal against acquittal of two
Indian accused -- Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed.
The home department was averse to shifting Kasab to
Yerwada as it would require extra security measures there,
though Yerwada has an egg-shaped cell (`Anda Cell`), the
Kasab is currently in a solitary confinement in a
bomb-proof egg-shaped cell at Arthur Road jail.
Arthur Road jail is spread over two acres in central
Mumbai and houses several criminals of the Mumbai underworld.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America