Kasab`s allegation of police torture false: Prosecution
Mumbai: Claims by Pakistani gunman Ajmal
Kasab about police torturing him and making him confess under
duress are false and part of his strategy to escape from the
clutches of law, the prosecution told a special court on Wednesday.
Kasab is a LeT operative and had been sufficiently
trained to mislead the court, Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam
contended in final arguments before Judge M L Tahaliyani in
the 26/11 attack case.
Nikam was responding to Kasab`s allegations in the
court earlier that his confession was not voluntary and taken
under duress as he was tortured in police custody. He had also
alleged that magistrate Sawant Wagale had not read out the
confession to him after it was recorded in February last year.
Nikam, on the sixth day of arguments, submitted that
Kasab had retracted his confession after a considerable delay
on April 17 after consulting his lawyer. The retraction was
well planned and an after-thought. In the eyes of law such
delayed retraction had no value, he stated.
The prosecutor argued that the gunman or his lawyer
had not cross-examined the magistrate in the wake of
allegation that his signature was obtained forcibly. Also, the
defence lawyer had not cross-examined Investigating Officer
Ramesh Mahale in regard to charge that Kasab was tortured.
Kasab was sitting in the dock with his head covered
with a handkerchief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?