Kasab`s allegation of police torture false: Prosecution
Mumbai: Claims by Pakistani gunman Ajmal
Kasab about police torturing him and making him confess under
duress are false and part of his strategy to escape from the
clutches of law, the prosecution told a special court on Wednesday.
Kasab is a LeT operative and had been sufficiently
trained to mislead the court, Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam
contended in final arguments before Judge M L Tahaliyani in
the 26/11 attack case.
Nikam was responding to Kasab`s allegations in the
court earlier that his confession was not voluntary and taken
under duress as he was tortured in police custody. He had also
alleged that magistrate Sawant Wagale had not read out the
confession to him after it was recorded in February last year.
Nikam, on the sixth day of arguments, submitted that
Kasab had retracted his confession after a considerable delay
on April 17 after consulting his lawyer. The retraction was
well planned and an after-thought. In the eyes of law such
delayed retraction had no value, he stated.
The prosecutor argued that the gunman or his lawyer
had not cross-examined the magistrate in the wake of
allegation that his signature was obtained forcibly. Also, the
defence lawyer had not cross-examined Investigating Officer
Ramesh Mahale in regard to charge that Kasab was tortured.
Kasab was sitting in the dock with his head covered
with a handkerchief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi