Kasab`s case to wind up in 3 weeks: Ujjwal Nikam
Mumbai: The judgement in the 26/11 case is
expected to be delivered by the year end as the prosecution
has still to examine few witnesses before winding up its case
against Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab and two others who are
charged with killing 166 persons.
"We shall close our evidence within three weeks after
examining few more witnesses," Special Public Prosecutor
Ujjwal Nikam said to a news agency.
The court would then record the statement of accused
under section 313 of CrPC. Under this section, the accused are
given an opportunity to be heard after the completion of the
The accused would also be allowed to examine defence
witnesses if they want to do so, Nikam said.
Both the sides, prosecution and defence, would then put
up their arguments and the court would pronounce its verdict.
All this may take two months, Nikam said.
The prosecution has examined more than 232 witnesses. Few
more witnesses, including two personnel of NSG and a
handwriting expert from Uttar Pradesh, are expected to depose
in the next three weeks.
Kasab is facing the charge of killing the people in
terror attacks in Mumbai on November 26 last year along with
nine other terrorists who were killed by security forces.
Fahim Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed are facing the charge
of preparing maps and handing them over to Lashkar-e-Taiba
(LeT) conspirators in Pakistan to execute the attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II