Kashmir interlocutors` report likely by Feb end
Jammu: The three interlocutors for Jammu and Kashmir are likely to submit their final report to the Union Home Ministry by the end of this month, according to highly placed sources in the government.
The Omar Abdullah government is keen to have a "final assessment" of the interlocutors on the situation and their possible "way forward" on Kashmir. This has been taken up with Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, who visited Jammu early this month.
"The Chief Minister had taken up this issue with the Home Minister and suggested that an early roadmap would help in injecting confidence among the people who have been waiting for something to happen," an official said.
The interlocutors -- journalist Dileep Padgaonkar, academician Radha Kumar and economist MM Ansari -- who were appointed in October last year after the summer unrest in Kashmir Valley in which over 100 people were killed, will take another trip to the state this month.
They would attempt to reach the separatists who, so far, have refused to talk to the interlocutors.
"Whatever be the case, whether the separatists meet them or not, the interlocutors will give their report as they have inputs from all other sections of the state," the official said.
At this point of time, the fear is that in the absence of the interlocutors` report, people might get frustrated and the situation might deteriorate like in last summer.
"The people need to be given some hope," the official explained as earlier the interlocutors were given one year`s time to submit the report, which was reduced to April this year and now it has been further cut to this month-end.
The ruling National Conference (NC) and the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have started upping the ante on their respective formulas for a solution to the Kashmir crisis.
The National Conference is pitching for the restoration of greater autonomy to Jammu and Kashmir, a near sovereign status for the state in which barring defence, communications and external affairs, it has control over all other matters and its own heads of the state and government.
The PDP is asking for self-rule which devolves powers to the grassroots level and seeks to have a similar arrangement on either side of the Line of Control between India and Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India