Kashmiri separatists meet Pak Foreign Sec, divided on dialogue process
New Delhi: Separatists from Kashmir Valley on Tuesday met Pakistan Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Gilani and were divided on the dialogue process between India and Pakistan with moderates terming it as necessary for building "mutual trust" while hardliners dubbed it as a "futile exercise".
Emerging from a two-hour meeting with Jilani, Chairman of moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference Mirwaiz Umer Farooq said "we support the dialogue process as building mutual trust was important.
"However, one important aspect of involvement of Kashmiris in the talks on Kashmir issue was still missing and it should be addressed at the earliest", the Mirwaiz said.
Jilani, who arrived here today for talks with his Indian counterpart Ranjan Mathai, held a series of meetings with the separatists from Kashmir who included hardline and moderate factions of Hurriyat Conference.
The Mirwaiz told the Pakistan Foreign Secretary that while implementation of confidence-building measures in the Valley was an important step a finality to the issue could be achieved only after the involvement of people of Kashmir to find a lasting solution to the issue.
The Pakistan Foreign Secretary, according to the Mirwaiz, expressed complete support to the Kashmir issue and extended an invitation to them to visit Islamabad in September or October this year.
The first meeting was with hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani who asked Pakistan to increase its diplomatic efforts in highlighting the Kashmir issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi