Kaskar wasn’t at shootout site: Mumbai police

It was earlier reported that Dawood Ibrahim`s brother was attacked by four unidentified gunmen.

Updated: May 18, 2011, 15:41 PM IST

Zeenews Bureau

Mumbai: In a twist to the Iqbal Kaskar attack case, the Mumbai Police on Wednesday said that the Mumbai businessman wasn’t present at the site when the shootout happened.

It was earlier reported that Kaskar, brother of India`s most wanted mafia don Dawood Ibrahim Kaskar, was attacked by four unidentified gunmen outside his residence in South Mumbai late on Tuesday.

"Kaskar was not there at the place of firing. But this does not mean that he was not targeted," said Joint Police Commissioner (Law and Order) Rajnish Seth.

Reports had said while Kaskar escaped unhurt his aide was killed in the incident.

Two of the assailants were nabbed by the members of the public present there and handed over to the police.

The interrogation of the duo, who were identified as Syyed Ali (29), a resident of Mumbra, and Indra Khatri (27), possibly from Nepal, revealed the possible involvement of the Chhota Rajan gang in the attack. The two were produced before a local court today and were sent to police remand till May 26.

Initial questioning of the duo revealed the gunmen were hired by a member of the Chhota Rajan gang and were reportedly paid Rs 3 lakh to eliminate Kaskar.

"Rajan`s name has surfaced (in the firing case). However, it is premature to say anything now. It is yet to be verified. Just because Dawood and Rajan are rivals, we cannot hold the latter responsible for the incident," said a senior police official.

According to another official, Kaskar also had problems with many other people and police is investigating whether the firing was the outcome of personal enmity.

The Mumbai Crime Branch have already questioned Iqbal Kaskar to find out the possible motives or the rival gang or gangsters responsible for the attack.

In the attack, Iqbal`s driver-cum-bodyguard Arif Syed Abu Bukha sustained bullet injuries in the chest and succumbed soon afterwards, while another guard was reported hurt in the shoot-out. Another person, who chased the assailants on a motorcycle, also sustained minor injuries.

The attack occurred as the two were standing outside Iqbal`s Pakmodia street home at around 10.00 pm.

Wanted in connection with a murder case and land-grabbing cases, including for the Sara-Sahara Shopping Complex, Iqbal was deported from Dubai in 2003. However, he was acquitted in the cases for lack of sufficient evidence and was leading an ordinary life.